Granada and Cordoba: The legendary Route of the Caliphate by “El Legado Andalusí”
Two cities, milestones in the history of Al-Andalus, meet on this route. Cordoba and Granada lived through golden centuries of Hispanic-Muslim culture. Two magnificent cities, capitals of the Caliphate and Nasrid Al-Andalus, which were the departure and destination of what we know as the “Route of the Caliphate”. The territories of the Route of the Caliphate were quickly integrated into the nascent state of Al-Andalus after the arrival of the Muslims to the Peninsula. A 5-day itinerary between Granada and Córdoba, recognized by the Council of Europe as a European Cultural Itinerary. An ideal experience to travel to a time when these cities were centers of wisdom with knowledge in science and art far advanced in their time. And thus learn first-hand the evolution of Al-Andalus from its splendor in the 10th century to its disappearance in the 15th century through an exclusive trip endorsed by the Fundación El Legado Andalusí.
* The design of this route can be modified to suit your specific needs and includes accommodation, visits and private transfers.
From 535€ per person
DAY 1: ARRIVAL IN GRANADA
- Private arrival transfer to your hotel in Granada in a high-end vehicle.
- Walking tour of the city center with a private guide who will help you locate the main areas of the city.
- Night in Granada.
DAY 2: GRANADA
- Former Nasrid capital and last city of Al-Andalus, it is the final destination of all the routes of El Legado Andalusí. A guide will pick you up at your hotel to enjoy an unforgettable private tour of the Alhambra and the Generalife Gardens, one of the most beautiful monuments in the world, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- The second part of the day will be dedicated to exploring the Albayzin and Sacromonte neighborhoods. A perfect complement to the visit of the Alhambra, which allows us to understand how Arab and Christian culture mix in the city. The Albayzin was declared a World Heritage Site in 1984, and is actually the origin of the current city of Granada, preserving all the magic of its Arab past.
- Free time for dinner.
- Night in Granada.
DAY 3: GRANADA
- Relaxing hammam. The bathing area consists of three pools. In this order: cold, warm and hot water. Session of 1 hour and 30 minutes, to immerse yourself in the relaxing water with notes of jasmine, taste the mint tea and lose yourself in the Nasrid decoration in every corner. The complementary 15-minute service consists of fifteen minutes of a relaxing aromatherapy massage to help us forget for a while the stress of daily life and experience this ancient ritual in turn.
- The Perfumes of Al-Andalus: Next, we want to propose a route of seven perfumes for seven corners of the city of Granada. To delight us with a selection of natural aromas that were surely part of the usual trade on the Caliphate Route. Infinite olfactory sensations to evoke with each of our fragrances; such as jasmine, a representative flower of the medieval neighborhoods of Granada, orange blossom with blooming orange trees, a typical tree of the Albaicín, and obviously the queen of flowers: the rose, formerly used as an aphrodisiac and symbol of carnal passion in many cultures, present in all the “Cármenes” of the neighborhood.
- Tapas night tour: We will take you on a beautiful walking tour from your hotel to the Albaicín neighborhood. Throughout your private tour, you will learn about the history and tradition of the tapa, as well as incredible legends and fun anecdotes from Granada’s social life. We will visit the bars that the locals value the most and taste their specialties, while your expert guide illustrates the history of the city and its most iconic places.
- Night in Granada
DAY 4: PRIEGO DE CORDOBA-CORDOBA
- Departure from Granada to Córdoba – Private transfer in a high-end vehicle.
- On our route we will discover the continuous presence of walled towns and castles located on strategic heights. We will make a stop for a guided visit to Priego de Córdoba: One of the most beautiful towns in Andalusia where we will enjoy the impressive views of the Adarve, we will visit the Andalusian neighborhood of the Villa and we will visit the Chapel of the Sagrario of the Church of the Assumption and the famous Royal Butchers.
- After lunch in this same town, we will go to Cordoba.
- Night in Cordoba
DAY 5: CORDOBA
- In the morning: Your expert guide will introduce you to the history of a city that a thousand years ago was the magnificent capital of the Umayyad Caliphate through its Mosque, one of the most relevant works of art of all time, declared by UNESCO in the 1984, a World Heritage Site.
- A stop for lunch: Do not miss the typical Cordovan salmorejo and the exquisite flamenquines.
- We will continue along the Jewish quarter, where the Synagogue stands out, the only one still standing in the old Jewish quarter, dating from the 14th century and surrounded by charming traditional houses and beautiful patios full of flowers.
- In the afternoon, we will visit Medina Azahara, a fabulous and mysterious city that the first caliph of al-Andalus, Abd-al Rahman III, ordered built in the 10th century at the foot of Sierra Morena. Madinat Al-Zahra, a World Heritage Site, the Legendary city is regarded as one of the summits of Islamic art, a palatine city built as part of the political, economic and ideological program that was put in place after the establishment of the caliphate. Symbol of their power in imitation of other eastern caliphates and shows their superiority over their great enemies.
- Night in Córdoba.
DAY 6: DEPARTURE FROM CORDOBA
- Free time for shopping
- Private transfer to Seville international airport or Córdoba train station.
Your private driver will meet you at Granada airport or train station
● Accommodation in charming hotels
● Private driver throughout the tour
● Local guide of Granada
● Local guide of Cordoba
● Local guide of Seville
● Entrance to monuments and shows
●Food and drinks
-Walking tour of the historic center
-Alhambra and Generalife
-Albaicín and Sacromonte at sunset
-Hammam with relaxing massage
-The Perfumes of Al-Andalus
-Night tapas tour
-Priego of Cordoba
-Mosque / Cathedral
Expert local guides
-15% fee, between 10 and 15 days prior to departure
-25% fee, between 3 and 9 days prior to departure
-50% fee, within 48 hours prior to departure.
-No-show: 100% fee applied
Get more information about the cancellation policy for this product at: firstname.lastname@example.org